Tuesday, July 13, 2010

VBS AND THE SEXUAL ABUSE CRISIS

This week we started Vacation Bible School!

I LOVE VBS!!

The carnival-like atmosphere keeps the kids engaged while they learn sooo much about God.

Yesterday, as the children began to come in, I was told by a custodial parent that the ex-spouse was worried that their child was attending VBS at a Catholic parish.

With all the wounds re-opened by the child sexual abuse crisis in Europe, I certainly understood…even, as I took a deep breath and thought…”Oh no, how is it we are at this place, again.”

Then, last evening, I was doing my monthly Virtus facilitator’s training, and came upon the following, written by a sexual abuse survivor named Kimberly. It speaks so clearly and honestly of the struggles of the abused, even while offering a way back to wholeness.

Nine Steps for Sexual Abuse Victims

Step 1: I recognize that I am powerless to heal the damaged emotions resulting from my sexual abuse, and I look to God for the power to make me whole.

Step 2: I acknowledge that God's plan for my life includes victory over the experience of sexual abuse.

Step 3: The person who abused me is responsible for the sexual acts committed against me. I will not accept the guilt and shame resulting from those sexual acts.

Step 4: I am looking to God and His Word to find my identity as a worthwhile and loved human being.

Step 5: I am honestly sharing my feelings with God and with at least one other person to help me identify those areas needing cleansing and healing.

Step 6: I am accepting responsibility for my responses to being sexually abused.

Step 7: I am willing to accept God's help in the decision and the process of forgiving myself and those who have offended me.

Step 8: I am willing to mature in my relationship with God and others.

Step 9: I am willing to be used by God as an instrument of healing and restoration in the lives of others. [1]


The abuse crisis is horrible to be sure, and a scar on the face of the Catholic Church, as well as many other denominations, organizations, and families.

Any time a disservice is done to a child of God, no matter the age, or by whom, the whole of humanity suffers.

The Good News is that God will ALWAYS help us pick up the pieces...we only need let Him!!

God Bless You!!

[1]http://oneway.jesusanswers.com/whats_new.htmlTaken from the Internet December 10, 2009. Help for the Abused. One Way! Which Way Are You Going? Articles to Help You.

No comments:

Post a Comment